Wrexham dating craig
Wrexham dating craig
It shows Sir Hugh Cholmondeley, who died in 1596, and his second wife Mary.The east side of the tomb shows Sir Hugh's son, Sir Hugh the younger and his wife Mary Holford.
From the Iron Age, the county has 90 scheduled Hill forts and a further 54 enclosures and settlement sites.
Powys covers the historic counties of Montgomeryshire and Radnorshire, most of Brecknockshire (Breconshire), and a small part of Denbighshire – an area of 5,179 km² (2,000 sq miles), making it the largest unitary authority in Wales by land area and about the same size as the country of Trinidad and Tobago.
It is bounded to the north by Gwynedd, Denbighshire and Wrexham; to the west by Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire; to the east by Shropshire and Herefordshire; and to the south by Rhondda Cynon Taf, Merthyr Tydfil, Caerphilly, Blaenau Gwent, Monmouthshire and Neath Port Talbot.
Subsequently, Sir Hugh married Mary, the daughter of Sir William Griffiths or Gruffydd of Penrhyn, the widow of Sir Randall Brereton of Malpas and shown in red below.
Sir Hugh the elder died in January 1596/7 (tomb at Malpas) and he was succeeded by his son, Hugh the younger.
The bird is "semy of black lozenges" for the former coal mining industry while the golden fleece it carries is a reference to the importance of sheep rearing in Powys.
Powys was originally created on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, and originally had Montgomery and Radnor and Brecknock as districts under it, which were based directly on the former administrative counties.
Just under a third of the residents have Welsh linguistic skills: Welsh speakers are concentrated mainly in the rural areas both in and around Machynlleth, Llanfyllin and Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant (where William Morgan first translated the whole Bible into Welsh in 1588) in Montgomeryshire (Welsh: The county is named after the ancient Welsh Kingdom of Powys, which in the sixth century AD included the northern two thirds of the area as well as most of Shropshire and adjacent areas now in England, and came to an end when it was occupied by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd of Gwynedd during the 1260s.
The uplands retain evidence of occupation from long before the Kingdom of Powys, and before the Romans, who built roads and forts across the area.
The Lord Lieutenant of Brecknockshire and Lord Lieutenant of Radnorshire were appointed as Lieutenants. Mrs Elizabeth Shân Legge-Bourke LVO of Crickhowell.
In December 2007 Powys was awarded Fairtrade County status by the Fairtrade Foundation.
On 1 April 1996, the districts were abolished, and Powys was reconstituted as a unitary authority, with a minor border adjustment in the north-east (specifically the addition of the communities of Llansilin and Llangedwyn from Glyndwr district in Clwyd, along with the movement of the border so that all of, and not as previously half of, Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant was in Powys, all historically part of Denbighshire).